Cyber Monday & Black Friday: Mobile Sales Numbers Continue to Grow Exponentially
By Alex Moazed
Black Friday and it’s equally busy, but drastically less stampede-friendly counterpart, Cyber Monday have come and gone. Now we get a chance to examine the figures!
As the savvy reader might expect, both online and mobile sales numbers continue to surge as consumers grow more comfortable purchasing goods digitally. We pulled some of the most telling stats from the IBM Coremetrics Benchmark Report Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2011 Report.
- Mobile traffic increased by more than 150% since 2010 (5.56% –> 14.33%)
- Mobile sales increased by more than 200% since 2010 (3.18% –> 9.84%)
- Apple Traffic/Sales Dominance: The iPhone was responsible for 5.4% of all traffic and the iPad took 4.8%. Android devices were responsible for just 4.1%. In addition, the iPad was found to have considerably higher conversion rates than any other device, clocking in at 4.6%.
- $87.5 million in sales coming from mobile devices(comScore)
- Mobile traffic increased by more than 150% since 2010 (3.80% –> 10.75%)
- Mobile sales increased by almost 200% since 2010 (2.25% –> 6.58%)
- Apple Traffic/Sales Dominance: The iPhone was responsible for4.1% of all traffic and the iPad took 3.3%. Android devices were responsible for 3.2%. In addition, the iPad was found to have considerably higher conversion rates than any other device, clocking in at 5.2%.
- While Android may be (just barely) winning the smartphone market share battle, iOS devices still reign supreme in terms of value to mobile commerce.
- iPad users, on average, spend more money than any other device segment including desktop.
- Mobile commerce is growing incredibly fast making Forrester’s $31 Billion by 2016 estimate look just about right.
- Somewhat counter intuitively, Black Friday’s mobile traffic actually outpaced Cyber Monday’s. This can likely be attributed to consumers tendency to reference in-store shopping apps and company mobile sites.
Product Engineering | Topics:
android, iPad, iPhone